Castor Oil Packs to Help Balance Hormones
If you are a woman experiencing hormonal shifts that include moodiness, insomnia, fatigue, and weight changes, you are probably frustrated and ready for a change. Yet, when your hormones are balanced, you are going to feel calmer, more energized and lighter.
When my patient Amy was experiencing these symptoms, I suggested she try using Castor Oil Packs (COPs) nightly. She tried the COPs and found they were incredibly relaxing and helped her both fall and stay asleep. Her energy improved and she felt calmer. Sleeping better, allowed her to increase her exercise and assisted her in losing some of those extra pounds. The COPs aid liver function which in turn helps your liver process hormones appropriately. Amy is still utilizing the COPs because she has enjoyed the effects profoundly.
Here is how to do a Castor Oil Pack. Talk to your doctor before starting COP treatments.
The castor oil pack has many applications and is used in many conditions. It has been used in such diverse conditions as constipation, gynecological disorders, headaches/migraines, intestinal disorders, and gallbladder/liver conditions. Castor oil packs can be used in almost any condition to improve circulation and function of the vital organs, in particular to stimulate digestion, detoxification and elimination.
Do not use heat with bleeding, pregnancy, ulcers or while menstruating.
- Flannel cloth (can be cotton or wool; approximately 20-40” x 24-48”) If using your own flannel, make sure it is free of any dyes or bleaches. We also sell organic castor oil packs.
- Hot water bottle/bladder or microwavable rice/corn heating pad.
- Bath towel or T-shirt.
- Organic castor oil from a glass bottle. We sell organic castor oil if needed.
- Fold your flannel once or twice depending on the size.It should fit over the abdomen (from the bottom of the ribs down to the waist). The treatment area can vary depending on the particular condition being treated, but generally cover the area of the liver, pancreas, stomach and intestines.
- Pour enough castor oil to saturate the side of the pack that will be in contact with your body.
- Place the castor oil pack onto the abdomen or predetermined treatment area.
- Put your hot water bottle/bladder or heating pad on the pack.You may want to cover the pack with plastic wrap (the part away from your skin) and/or wear a T-shirt to protect the furniture, bedding, or heating pad from the oil, which can stain.
- Wrap the towel around the body over the flannel. You may use safety pins to secure the towel. Some people put the hot water bottle/bladder or heating pad over the towel, but make sure the heat can be felt through the towel.
- Rest or sleep. Use visualization, meditation, and/or deep breathing
- Leave the pack on for 30-60 minutes or sleep with it overnight. Consult your physician about the duration and frequency of treatment.
- Use a zip-lock bag or container to store your pack. Keep it next to your bed as a reminder.
- You can wipe the excess off the body with a towel or wash with 3 tablespoons baking soda per quart of water.
- A castor oil pack usually lasts several weeks to several months, after which time you may wash the flannel and start again.(Discoloration or odor indicates a dirty pack.)
If you need to purchase castor oil or a pack, please contact us at 970-963-6500. Make sure your castor oil is organic and in a glass bottle as it absorbs plastic molecules. If you are having lots hormonal symptoms, consider joining us in Back to Balance’s signature Detox & Cleanse Program to balance your hormones.