Patients are always coming to see me with symptoms of inflammation like aches and pains, headaches, fatigue, bloating, etc. Many times, a detox can really help them to start feeling better without the use of any medications. But what are we detoxifying? Let’s face it, we are surrounded by toxins every day.
Glyphosate is one of the world’s most common herbicides and damaging toxins. It is the active ingredient in popular weed-control products like Roundup and Pondmaster. It is used on lawns, in greenhouses, forest plantings and unfortunately, it is also sprayed in staggering quantities on most commercially grown staple crops, including canola, corn, cotton, soybeans, alfalfa, sugar beets and wheat.
Even the World Health Organization (WHO) has classified glyphosates as a “probable human carcinogen”. It can also be a detrimental endocrine disruptor (which means it makes your hormones go off balance). Last but not least, it kills beneficial gut bacteria creating more leaky gut problems which can lead to food sensitivities and other inflammatory health concerns. No wonder we don’t feel very good when exposed to it.
Now, you don’t need to worry about having a small amount of exposure to glyphosates but the problem is that it is so prevalent that we are surrounded by it every day: it is in our food, water and air!
It is the long-term exposure and the lack of elimination from our body that may be a concern. Long term exposure may cause an increased risk of cancer, liver and kidney damage and increase various reproductive risks too.
Here are some recommendations on how to best avoid glyphosates:
- Buy organic products. This will help to reduce your exposure but will not eliminate it 100%. Glyphosates have been banned in organic farming but in a World Health Organization report, 1/3 of organic oats are still tested with traces of glyphosates.
- Eat as low in the food chain as possible: This is good advice for a number of reasons; avoiding glyphosates is a big one.
- Avoid all GMO foods: including processed and packaged foods containing non-organic corn, soybean, and sugar in all their varieties. Organic means non-GMO.
- Choose vinegar as a home weed killer: do NOT use Roundup!
- And don’t forget to take your daily probiotics – it is one of the simplest ways of protecting your gut and allowing your body to eliminate properly every day.
If you are not sure if you need a detox or if you would like more help on how to do a proper detox program then click here for more information on Back to Balance’s Detox & Cleanse Program or call us to make an appointment. We are happy to help you.